Travel information

Before booking your travel, please note that ALL travellers to Australia, other than Australian and New Zealand citizens, must have a valid visa to travel to Australia. Please see Visa information for more information.

Travel by plane

Hobart International Airport (HBA) is a 15 minute drive to Hobart, Tasmania, and services flights to and from Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Canberra, and Melbourne airports. Most international participants will first fly to Brisbane, Sydney, or Melbourne before transferring to a domestic flight to Tasmania. Domestic airlines flying to Tasmania include Qantas, Jetstar, and Virgin Australia.

There is no other means of getting to Hobart directly from mainland Australia. If you wish to travel to Devonport first and make your way to Hobart, a ferry service is also available. Details are available on the ferry and means of getting to Hobart from Devonport.

Transit from the airport


From Hobart airport, you can take a Hobart Airporter bus into the city and most central business district hotels. The Airporter costs $16 one way for an adult (non-concession) passenger and departs 15 minutes after the arrival of each flight. The bus operator suggests booking ahead for this service.


There's a taxi line outside the Hobart Airport terminal. From the airport, the one way fare is $40-60, depending on arrival time and destination. Hobart taxi companies include United Taxis (phone: 133 222) and Yellow Cab Co (phone: 131 924).

Rental car

There are several rental car agencies that provide service from Hobart Airport; a full list is available on the airport web site.

Please note that traffic drives on the left side of the road in Australia. Additionally, if you want to rent a car for touring Tasmania after the conference and you plan to visit Bruny Island, only certain companies allow you to take your rental car on the ferry. These companies can be found on the Bruny Island web site.

If you have an international drivers license that is not in English, you will need an international driving permit or will need to carry a translation of your license made by an accredited translator. Details are available from the Tasmanian Government.

Updated:  9 June 2016/ Responsible Officer:  Director RSPE/ Page Contact:  Physics Webmaster